Some days these last few weeks it feels like summer is already upon us!
Everyone KNOWS that they’re supposed to drink water on a daily basis, but how many of us are actually getting enough in each day?!
The answer, not enough!
Here are some common signs of dehydration…
- This is an obvious one, but did you know that being thirsty means you’re already on your way to being dehydrated!!
2. WEAKNESS, FATIGUE, and FEELING SLUGGISH
3. DIZZINESS (especially when you go to stand up!)
- This is a VERY COMMON symptom I hear about from MANY of my patients!
- Your digestive tract needs water and fluid to make sure things run smoothly so that waste doesn’t get stuck or slowed down
6. Dark Yellow Urine
- Your urine should barely have any colour to it at all! It may however be bright yellow from taking B-vitamin but this doesn’t count.
7. Many Others!
- Everything from heart palpitations and muscle cramps, to confusion and convulsions, to irritability and nausea
Here are some health benefits of making sure you have optimal hydration…
1. HEALTHY SKIN
- Getting enough water in can help prevent and reduce wrinkles!
2. INCREASED ENERGY
- All of the systems and processes in your body require water to make sure they function properly, and when your cells don’t have enough they can’t work as effectively
3. WEIGHT LOSS!
- Studies have shown that those who drank water prior to meals lost more weight than those who didn’t. It’s VERY COMMON for people to confuse their thirst for hunger!
4. KEEPS CANCER AWAY
- Bladder cancer and colon cancer rates are reduced in those who drink enough water on a daily basis
IT’S IMPORTANT TO KNOW, THAT IT’S NOT JUST ABOUT THE WATER!
YOUR BODY NEEDS ELECTROLYTES TOO!
Electrolytes are salts and minerals that the body uses to keep its fluid levels balanced properly and they’re really important to consider and replenish.
Electrolytes are especially important to get into you on hot days and for all of that stampeding coming up!
Keep in mind…
- COFFEE DOESN’T COUNT (and neither does alcohol)! It actually works as a diuretic, which means it can actually dehydrate you more than you already are!
- AVOID ALL THOSE BRIGHTLY COLOURED ELECTROLYTE DRINKS! They’re full of high fructose corn syrup and artificial colours, which are bad for your health!
- AVOID BOTTLED WATER! The plastic may contain BPA and phthalates, or other toxicant chemicals that can be very damaging to your health
Stay tuned for our next blog post where I’ll be sharing ways to achieve hydration more easily (beyond plain water) and some great options for electrolytes!